Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 6:09 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 01/05/2016 11:08 AM, Roland van Laar wrote:
>> On January 5, 2016 5:47:16 PM GMT+01:00, "Joshua D. Drake"
>> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> I had a hard time writing this email. I think Code of Conducts are
>>> non-essential, a waste of respectful people's time and frankly if you
>>> are going to be a jerk, our community will call you out on it.
>>> Unfortunately a lot of people don't agree with that. I have over the
>>> course of the last year seen more and more potential users very
>>> explicitly say, "I will not contribute to a project or attend a
>>> conference that does not have a CoC".
>>

>> Do they give a rational for that?
>

> I don't think I am a good person to rationalize their reasoning because I
> don't like the idea of a CoC. That said, I think a lot of boils down to
> perception, responsibility, accountability and the fact that a lot of people
> are flat out jerks. I am not talking the ball busting type of jerk but
> honest, just not nice people or people who vastly lack the ability to
> integrate with larger society. Those people tend to need guidelines for
> their jerkiness because they will say, "I didn't know I couldn't do/say
> XYZ". Whether that is true or not, I have no idea.

Being a jerk is not a problem that can be solved with a code of
conduct, just something that each individual should try to solve by
himself. And IMHO, this would just complicate the contribution flow
and the life of people who could potentially provide something useful.
Folks on the mailing lists here are really cool and it is possible to
have really nice and constructive conversations on many topics anyway,
the presence of a CoC is not going to change that, and that's what
matters.
--
Michael