Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Ian Lawrence Barwick
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2023年5月19日(金) 5:49 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:

> I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes.  You can
> see the output here:
>
>         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html
>
> I will adjust it to the feedback I receive;  that URL will quickly show
> all updates.

Hi

Below are a few commits which are not referenced in the current iteration
of the release notes, but which seem worthy of inclusion.
Apologies if they have been previously discussed, or I'm overlooking something
obvious.

d09dbeb9b Speedup hash index builds by skipping needless binary searches
  "Testing has shown that this can improve hash index build speeds by 5-15%
   with a unique set of integer values."

e09d7a126 Improve speed of hash index build.
  "This seems to be good for overall
  speedup of 5%-9%, depending on the incoming data."

594f8d377 Allow batching of inserts during cross-partition updates.
  seems reasonable to mention this as it's related to 97da48246, which
  is mentioned in the notes

1349d2790 Improve performance of ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates
  This is the basis for da5800d5, which is mentioned in the notes, but AFAICS
   the latter is an implementation fix for the former (haven't looked
into either
   in detail though).

The following are probably not headline features, but are the kind of
behavioural
changes I'd expect to find in the release notes (when, at some point
in the far and
distant future, trying to work out when they were introduced when considering
application compatibility etc.):

13a185f54 Allow publications with schema and table of the same schema.
2ceea5adb Accept "+infinity" in date and timestamp[tz] input.
d540a02a7 Display the leader apply worker's PID for parallel apply workers.

Regards

Ian Barwick

От: Aleksander Alekseev
Сообщение: Re: "38.10.10. Shared Memory and LWLocks" may require a clarification
От: Aleksander Alekseev
Сообщение: Re: RFI: Extending the TOAST Pointer