Re: Somewhat excessive version checks

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Somewhat excessive version checks
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:59 AM Khushboo Vashi
<khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:36 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> If I read the code correctly, pgadmin will (unless turned off) hit the
>> website to check the version.json file for updates *every time it
>> starts*.
>>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to rate limit that to checking say once per 24
>> hours maximum? Or even 48?
>>
>> It seems nobody needs the update *that* quickly, and AFAICT it does
>> call out to make that check synchronously on startup which means the
>> user is waiting.
>>
> Agreed, we should have some mechanism in place to limit the server hit, maybe an asynchronous call from the client
whileloading.

Seems async front he server would be a better choice there, if you
have some ways for that? Otherwise, how to determine which user to
trust when storing the result etc?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: Somewhat excessive version checks
От: Pradip Parkale
Сообщение: Re: [pgAdmin][RM5912]: Added support for Logical Replication.