Re: pg_basebackup --wal-method=fetch

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_basebackup --wal-method=fetch
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 12:11 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 5:21 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> * Ron Johnson (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> > The word "streaming".
>> > Should be "But isn't streaming the whole purpose of pg_basebackup"?
>>
>> I'm a bit confused on this point still as if the whole purpose of
>> pg_basebackup is to be streaming ... then we should be defaulting to
>> fetch mode still?
>

> No.  Since I thought streaming is the whole purpose of pg_basebackup, I questioned the utility of every other method
except--wal-method=streaming.

Well, "fetch" mode also does streaming... It just does streaming at
the end instead of parallel. So I guess one could argue the names
chosen are wrong, and should be named something like "parallel" and
"sequential". But I think the ship on renaming that has sailed a long
time ago...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

От: Ron Johnson
Сообщение: Re: pg_basebackup --wal-method=fetch
От: David Barron
Сообщение: upgrade questions