Re: Sequence name with capital letters issue

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Sequence name with capital letters issue
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 12:35 PM Thibaut BOULDOIRE <thibaut.bouldoire@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'm using a PostgreSQL database.
PostgreSQL 10.17 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

Please note that while unrelated to your uissue here, PostgreSQL 10 went end of life and is unsupported since November 2022, a year and a half ago. You should upgrade to a supported version ASAP.

I have some sequences called like that :
app_user_SEQ
app_address_SEQ

The issue is that when I call the next value of the sequence, I receive an error.

When I try :

SELECT nextval("app_user_SEQ");

I have the following error :

SQL Error [42703]: ERROR: column "app_user_SEQ' does not exist

I don't understand why ? So I try to rename my sequences by writing them in lowercase.
So now my sequences are like that :
app_user_seq
app_address_seq

And now the SELECT nextval("app_user_seq"); is working.

This should never work.  The correct way to call that is SELECT nextval('app_user_seq').

Perhaps whatever application you are using is converting double quotes to single quotes before actually executing the query. The error message you show above does not come directly from psql - the SQL Error part is from some other tool, and you didn't mention which one.

If so, you may end up having a problem, because the correct way to execute nextval on your sequence with uppercase in it is SELECT nextval('"app_user_SEQ"'). The single quotes are to indicate it's a string, and then inside that string you need to double-quote the identifier to make it case-preserving.

I also tried to add again a sequence with a part in capital letters and I kept the lowercase one in the DB. Now I have these 4 sequences :
app_user_SEQ
app_address_SEQ
app_user_seq
app_address_seq

But now, something interesting happened.
When I call this query : SELECT nextval("app_user_SEQ"); , it's the app_user_seq sequence that is incremented and not the app_user_SEQ.

I didn't find in the documentation something that mentioned this issue regarding sequence names with capital letters.
Is it a bug ? or is it something that I didn't find in the documentation ?

Sequence names are treated the same as any other identifier. There is nothing special about them. Identifier quoting rules are documented at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

От: PG Bug reporting form
Сообщение: BUG #18422: Assert in expandTupleDesc() fails on row mismatch with additional SRF
От: hubert depesz lubaczewski
Сообщение: Re: Sequence name with capital letters issue