Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem
Дата
Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem
Список pgsql-www

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
It is a well-known problem that a Google search for something in the
PostgreSQL documentation will usually return hits in old documentation
versions first, because those pages have been around for the longest.

I believe I have a promising fix for that.  By adding a <link
rel="canonical"> to the documentation pages that point to the "current"
version, search engines will be encouraged to return the current version
search results.

I had heard that the Django project had the same problem and got this
solution from there.  See for example the source of this page:
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/topics/db/models/>.  Here is
also some information from Google about this:
<https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2013/04/5-common-mistakes-with-relcanonical.html>

I think this is worth trying.  A one-line patch is attached.

By that article you linked, it's important not to link to pages that don't exist. So we should at least verify that the page does exist in the current version (the same way that we do for the links at the top of the pages for old versions).  IIRC someone (sorry, this is a long time ago, can't remember who or why) mentioned that the pages can get severely punished if the canonical link goes to a 404.

We did try this at some point ages and ages ago and it didn't help, but I agree it's probably worth another try. But we definitely need to be careful not to destroy existing google ranking.

And FWIW, the django way isn't particularly good either. For example a google for "django 1.8 models" only gives me the 1.10 documentation. But that may still be the lesser of the two evils.

Also, when I search for it, I always get the greek version (el) first (though it's in english), followed by japanese. The actual page to  look for doesn't show up until the 5th spot. Which goes to prove that no way really works *well* :S

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: an attempt to fix the Google search problem
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem