Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression

От Maxim Orlov
Тема Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

I'm pretty much like the idea of the patch. Looks like an overlook in SQL standard for me.
Anyway, patch apply with no conflicts and implements described functionality.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 03:06, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:

I don't like this part of the patch at all.  Not only is the
documentation only half baked, but the entire concept of the two
commands is different.  Especially since I believe the command should
also create a generated column from a non-generated one.

But I have to agree with Vik Fearing, we can make this patch better, should we?
I totally understand your intentions to keep the code flow simple and reuse existing code as much
as possible. But in terms of semantics of these commands, they are quite different from each other.
And in terms of reading of the code, this makes it even harder to understand what is going on here.
So, in my view, consider split these commands.

Hope, that helps. Again, I'm +1 for this patch.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.

От: jian he
Сообщение: Re: Cleaning up array_in()
От: John Naylor
Сообщение: Re: [dynahash] do not refill the hashkey after hash_search