Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

От jian he
Тема Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 2:25 PM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi.
> I found an interesting case.
>
> CREATE TABLE t1 AS
>   SELECT (i % 10)::numeric AS x,(i % 10)::int8 AS y,'abc' || i % 10 AS
> z, i::int4 AS w
>   FROM generate_series(1, 100) AS i;
> CREATE INDEX t1_x_y_idx ON t1 (x, y);
> ANALYZE t1;
> SET enable_hashagg = off;
> SET enable_seqscan = off;
>
> EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT count(*) FROM t1 GROUP BY x,z,y,w;
> EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT count(*) FROM t1 GROUP BY x,w,y,z;
> EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT count(*) FROM t1 GROUP BY x,z,w,y;
> EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT count(*) FROM t1 GROUP BY x,w,z,y;
> the above part will use:
>   ->  Incremental Sort
>          Sort Key: x, $, $, $
>          Presorted Key: x
>          ->  Index Scan using t1_x_y_idx on t1

We can make these cases also `Presorted Key: x, y`.

in
`if (path->pathkeys && !pathkeys_contained_in(path->pathkeys,
root->group_pathkeys))` branch
we can simple do
-                       infos = lappend(infos, info);
+                       infos = lcons(info, infos);

similar to what we did at plancat.c (search lcons).

get_useful_group_keys_orderings returns a  list of PathKeyInfo,
then the caller function just iterates each element.
so for the caller, order of the returned list element from
get_useful_group_keys_orderings
does not matter.

for path Incremental Sort:
function make_ordered_path will return the same cost for different
numbers of  presorted keys.

for example:
EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT count(*) FROM t1 GROUP BY x,z,y,w;
make_ordered_path cost is same for:
`info->pathkeys: x,y,z,w`
`info->pathkeys:x,z,y,w`

if we arrange `info->pathkeys: x,y,z,w` before `info->pathkeys:x,z,y,w`
in get_useful_group_keys_orderings.
then with the same cost, we will choose the first one
(`info->pathkeys: x,y,z,w`),
if we use IncrementalSort, then we use `Presorted Key: x, y`.

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: pg_input_error_info doc 2 exampled crammed together
От: vignesh C
Сообщение: Re: Race condition in FetchTableStates() breaks synchronization of subscription tables