Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 12:52 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
<houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Monday, May 8, 2023 11:08 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
>
> Hi,
>

> > On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 12:22 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Why not simply move the registration of pa_shutdown() to someplace
> > > after logicalrep_worker_attach()?
> >
> > If we do that, the worker won't call dsm_detach() if it raises an
> > ERROR in logicalrep_worker_attach(), is that okay? It seems that it's
> > no practically problem since we call dsm_backend_shutdown() in
> > shmem_exit(), but if so why do we need to call it in pa_shutdown()?
>
> I think the dsm_detach in pa_shutdown was intended to fire on_dsm_detach
> callbacks to give callback a chance to report stat before the stat system is
> shutdown, following what we do in ParallelWorkerShutdown() (e.g.
> sharedfileset.c callbacks cause fd.c to do ReportTemporaryFileUsage(), so we
> need to fire that earlier).
>
> But for parallel apply, we currently only have one on_dsm_detach
> callback(shm_mq_detach_callback) which doesn't report extra stats. So the
> dsm_detach in pa_shutdown is only used to make it a bit future-proof in case
> we add some other on_dsm_detach callbacks in the future which need to report
> stats.

Make sense . Given that it's possible that we add other callbacks that
report stats in the future, I think it's better not to move the
position to register pa_shutdown() callback.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: PGDOCS - Replica Identity quotes
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply