Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Yura Sokolov <funny.falcon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excuse me for being noisy.
>
> Increasing vacuum's ring buffer improves vacuum upto 6 times.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20170720190405.GM1769%40tamriel.snowman.net
> This is one-line change.
>
> How much improvement parallel vacuum gives?

It depends on hardware resources you can use.

In current design the scanning heap and vacuuming heap are procesed
with parallel workers at block level (using parallel sequential scan)
and the vacuuming indexes are also processed with parallel worker at
index-level. So even if a table is not large enough the more a table
has indexes you can get better performance. The performance test
result (I attached) I did before shows that parallel vacuum is up to
almost 10 times faster than single-process vacuum in a case. The test
used not-large table (4GB table) with many indexes but it would be
insteresting to test with large table.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Sergei Kornilov
Сообщение: pg_ls_dir_files issue with concurrent file unlink
От: Evgeniy Efimkin
Сообщение: Special role for subscriptions