Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 7:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 1:46 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, that makes sense but still not sure how will you identify if we
> > > need to reset XID in case of failure doing that in the previous
> > > attempt.
> >
> > It's a just idea but we can record the failed transaction with XID as
> > well as its commit LSN passed? The sequence I'm thinking is,
> >
> > 1. the worker records the XID and commit LSN of the failed transaction
> > to a catalog.
> >

> When will you record this info? I am not sure if we can try to update
> this when an error has occurred. We can think of using try..catch in
> apply worker and then record it in catch on error but would that be
> advisable? One random thought that occurred to me is to that apply
> worker notifies such information to the launcher (or maybe another
> process) which will log this information.

Yeah, I was concerned about that too and had the same idea. The
information still could not be written if the server crashes before
the launcher writes it. But I think it's an acceptable.

> > 2. the user specifies how to resolve that conflict transaction
> > (currently only 'skip' is supported) and writes to the catalog.
> > 3. the worker does the resolution method according to the catalog. If
> > the worker didn't start to apply those changes, it can skip the entire
> > transaction. If did, it rollbacks the transaction and ignores the
> > remaining.
> >
> > The worker needs neither to reset information of the last failed
> > transaction nor to mark the conflicted transaction as resolved. The
> > worker will ignore that information when checking the catalog if the
> > commit LSN is passed.
> >

> So won't this require us to check the required info in the catalog
> before applying each transaction? If so, that might be overhead, maybe
> we can build some cache of the highest commitLSN that can be consulted
> rather than the catalog table.

I think workers can cache that information when starts and invalidates
and reload the cache when the catalog gets updated.  Specifying to
skip XID will update the catalog, invalidating the cache.

> I think we need to think about when to
> remove rows for which conflict has been resolved as we can't let that
> information grow infinitely.

I guess we can update catalog tuples in place when another conflict
happens next time. The catalog tuple should be fixed size. The
already-resolved conflict will have the commit LSN older than its
replication origin's LSN.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

От: Masahiko Sawada
От: Andy Fan
Сообщение: Regarding the necessity of RelationGetNumberOfBlocks for every rescan / bitmap heap scan.