От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 1:58 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, we avoided doing anything in this case because the user could
> > > have manually created another slot with the same name on standby.
> > > Unlike WAL slots can be modified on standby as we allow decoding on
> > > standby, so we can't allow to overwrite the existing slots. We won't
> > > be able to distinguish whether the existing slot was a slot that the
> > > user wants to sync with primary or a slot created on standby to
> > > perform decoding. I think in this case user first needs to drop the
> > > slot on new standby.
> >
> > Yes, but if we do a switch-back further (i.e. in above case, node1
> > backs to the primary again and node becomes the standby again), the
> > user doesn't need to remove failover slots since they are already
> > marked as "synced".
>
> But, I think in this case node-2's timeline will be ahead of node-1,
> so will we be able to make node-2 follow node-1 again without any
> additional steps? One thing is not clear to me after promotion the
> timeline changes in WAL, so the locations in slots will be as per new
> timelines, after that will it be safe to sync slots from the new
> primary to old-primary?

In order for node-1 to go back to the primary again, it needs to be
promoted. That is, the node-1's timeline increments and node-2 follows
node-1.

> In general, I think after failover, we recommend running pg_rewind if
> the old primary has to follow the new primary to account for
> divergence in WAL. So, not sure we can safely start syncing slots in
> old-primary from new-primary, consider that in the new primary, the
> same name slot may have dropped/re-created multiple times.

Right. And I missed the point that all replication slots are removed
after pg_rewind. It would not be a problem in a failover case. But
probably we still need to consider a switchover cas (i.e. switch roles
with clean shutdowns) since it doesn't require to run pg_rewind?

> We can
> probably reset all the fields of the existing slot the first time
> syncing for an existing slot or do something like that but I think it
> would be better to just re-create the slot.
>

>  I wonder if we could do something automatically to
> > reduce the user's operation.
>
> One possibility is that we forcefully drop/re-create the slot or
> directly overwrite the slot contents but that would probably be better
> done via some GUC or slot-level parameter. I feel we should leave this
> for another day, for the first version, we can document that an error
> will occur if the same name slots on standby exist, so users need to
> ensure that there shouldn't be an existing same name slots on standby
> before sync.

Hmm, I'm afraid it might not be user-friendly. But probably we can
leave it for now as it's not impossible.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Commitfest 2024-01 is now closed
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Commitfest 2024-01 is now closed