Re: What about Perl autodie?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: What about Perl autodie?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 2:28 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
On 21.02.24 08:26, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 14.02.24 17:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> A gentler way might be to start using some perlcritic policies like
>> InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen or the more general
>> InputOutput::RequireCheckedSyscalls and add explicit error checking at
>> the sites it points out.
>
> Here is a start for that.  I added the required stanza to perlcriticrc
> and started with an explicit list of functions to check:
>
> functions = chmod flock open read rename seek symlink system
>
> and fixed all the issues it pointed out.
>
> I picked those functions because most existing code already checked
> those, so the omissions are probably unintended, or in some cases also
> because I thought it would be important for test correctness (e.g., some
> tests using chmod).
>
> I didn't design any beautiful error messages, mostly just used "or die
> $!", which mostly matches existing code, and also this is
> developer-level code, so having the system error plus source code
> reference should be ok.
>
> In the second patch, I changed the perlcriticrc stanza to use an
> exclusion list instead of an explicit inclusion list.  That way, you can
> see what we are currently *not* checking.  I'm undecided which way
> around is better, and exactly what functions we should be checking.  (Of
> course, in principle, all of them, but since this is test and build
> support code, not production code, there are probably some reasonable
> compromises to be made.)

After some pondering, I figured the exclude list is better.  So here is
a squashed patch, also with a complete commit message.

Btw., do we check perlcritic in an automated way, like on the buildfarm?

Yes. crake and koel do.

cheers

andrew

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: What about Perl autodie?
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15