Re: Fwd: Why does pg_rewind deny permission for pg_read_binary_file() other than 'dbname=postgres'?

От Zhaoxun Yan
Тема Re: Fwd: Why does pg_rewind deny permission for pg_read_binary_file() other than 'dbname=postgres'?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
'rep' and 'rewinder' are all users that I created. First I used 'rep' as the user in pg_rewind and compared results with dbname=repmgr or dbname=postgres; then I created another user 'rewinder' and grant the privileges that 'pg_rewind' requires at minimum on its documentation and compared results again.

The results are the same, 'dbname=repmgr' is the root cause of the error, since 'dbname=postgres' went well with both 'user=rep' and 'user=rewinder', while 'dbname=repmgr' generates exactly the same error.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
What does user "rep" (why is "replication" on the same line?) have to do with role "rewinder" (which is what you granted all of the permissions to, and what you run pg_rewind as)?

On 10/12/23 07:42, Zhaoxun Yan wrote:
Hi Ron,
I forgot to tell you that during setting up repmgr, I have created database repmgr (possibly schema repmgr depending on what extension repmgr did)

CREATE USER rep replication;

CREATE database repmgr WITH OWNER rep;

CREATE EXTENSION repmgr;

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 5:22 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
"rewinder" is a user, not a database.  "dbname=postgres" explicitly means that the database name is "postgres".

On 10/12/23 03:48, Zhaoxun Yan wrote:
BTW rewinder is another USER that I made for control variable:

$ pg_rewind -D /pgdata --source-server='host=172.17.1.2 port=5432 user=rewinder dbname=postgres connect_timeout=5'
pg_rewind: source and target cluster are on the same timeline
pg_rewind: no rewind required

$ pg_rewind -D /pgdata --source-server='host=172.17.1.2 port=5432 user=rewinder dbname=repmgr   connect_timeout=5'
pg_rewind: error: could not fetch remote file "global/pg_control": ERROR:  permission denied for function pg_read_binary_file

От: Rajesh Kumar
Сообщение: Locks analyze
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Fwd: Why does pg_rewind deny permission for pg_read_binary_file() other than 'dbname=postgres'?