Re: How to determine max int

От Melvin Call
Тема Re: How to determine max int
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Guy Rouillier <guy.rouillier@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/11/2013 7:14 PM, Melvin Call wrote:
Good evening,

I could swear I read somewhere that the default integer size on 64-bit
systems running 9.1 is eight bytes, or the equivalent of a bigint. But
reading through the user guide it seems that it is indeed still just
four-bytes. Can anyone verify that for me, or point me to a way to
verify it? I see nothing in pg_settings which is where I thought to
look. Not a big deal, I just need to know for the data dictionary.

The documentation seems pretty clear on integer data types:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.2/pg/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-INT

From the documentation, the range of integer data types is not platform-specific, other than for warning about BIGINT.  Perhaps you are remembering compiler documentation, where the default integer size typically *is* platform-dependent?

--
Guy Rouillier

Thanks Guy. Some dumb notion that I came up with somewhere in the past. I appreciate y'all setting me straight.

Melvin