Re: request for database identifier in the startup packet

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: request for database identifier in the startup packet
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 9 May 2024 at 15:39, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 3:33 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 May 2024 at 15:19, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> > ISTM that you could just as well query the information you'd like after
>> > connecting. And that's going to be a lot more flexible than having to have
>> > precisely the right information in the startup message, and most clients not
>> > needing it.
>>
>> I agree with this.
>>
> Well other than the extra round trip.

I mean, sure, but we can't avoid that for everyone for everything.
There might be some way of doing something like this with, for
example, the infrastructure that was proposed to dynamically add stuff
to the list of PGC_REPORT GUCs, if the values you need are GUCs
already, or were made so. But I think it's just not workable to
unconditionally add a bunch of things to the startup packet. It'll
just grow and grow.

I don't think this is unconditional. These are real world situations where having this information is useful.
That said, adding them everytime I ask for them would end up growing uncontrollably. This seems like a decent discussion to have with others.

Dave

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: open items
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Is there an undocumented Syntax Check in Meson?