Re: Autovacuum Hung Due to Bufferpin

От Fred Habash
Тема Re: Autovacuum Hung Due to Bufferpin
Дата
Список pgsql-general
According to pgstattuple, dead_tuple_count = 0. If this is the case, then what other explanations do we have? I mean, how can I find out what blocker session is holding the bufferpin to terminate it?

 SELECT * FROM pgstattuple('****.*****'::regclass);
 table_len | tuple_count | tuple_len | tuple_percent | dead_tuple_count | dead_tuple_len | dead_tuple_percent | free_space | free_percent
-----------+-------------+-----------+---------------+------------------+----------------+--------------------+------------+--------------
      8192 |          28 |      2224 |         27.15 |                0 |              0 |                  0 |       5764 |        70.36
(1 row)

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 10:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Fred Habash <fmhabash@gmail.com> writes:
> pg_locks shows no blockers while this is happening. This view shows a
> constant 13 sessions running SELECT statements on this table posting
> AccessShareLock. Of course, these is also the AV sessions
> with ShareUpdateExclusiveLock
> Why is AV blocked by bufferpin given the fact that this table does not get
> an DML changes. It is purely read only. What can be done to resolve this?

Apparently there has been some DML on it in the past, leaving dead rows
that vacuum now needs to clean up --- but it needs a transient buffer
lock for long enough to do that.  If you have a constant stream of readers
it will never be able to get that lock.  You'll need to find a way to
momentarily block those readers.

Thank you

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum Hung Due to Bufferpin
От: Michel Pelletier
Сообщение: Disabling triggers on tables dumped with pg_extension_config_dump()