Re: CLUSTER, VACUUM, and TABLESPACEs (oh my)

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: CLUSTER, VACUUM, and TABLESPACEs (oh my)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Le lun. 25 janv. 2021 à 01:38, Demitri Muna <postgresql@demitri.com> a écrit :
Hi,

I would like to request a little clarification on the CLUSTER and VACUUM commands. My use case here (partially) is when my disk runs out of space and I want to move a table to a newly created tablespace. These questions somewhat overlap. Let’s say I am starting with a table that is not CLUSTERed on a given index, but I want it to be.

* If I run “CLUSTER table USING idx” on a table, is VACUUM FULL required/useful afterwards, or should I assume that the cluster operation did the equivalent of a VACUUM FULL?

The cluster operation is a VACUUM FULL with a sort step, so you don't need a VACUUM FULL after a CLUSTER.

* If I have previously run a CLUSTER command on a table, will future VACUUM FULL commands rewrite the table in the order specified in the previous CLUSTER?

No, you still need CLUSTER.

* If I want to move a table to a new tablespace, is it possible to CLUSTER+VACUUM in the same step since the whole table will be rewritten anyway? This would be very useful in low-disk space scenarios. I did find this answer, but it’s dated several years ago and was hoping for something better supported. https://dba.stackexchange.com/a/87457/121020

No, but this is something being worked on. See https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2269/ for details.

The documentation is somewhat silent on these details, so I thought I’d ask here. Right now I move a table to a new tablespace, cluster on an index, and then do a full vacuum which results in three full copies of the table being written, which seems less than optimal where one should only be needed as far as I understand things.

Cheers,
Demitri

От: Demitri Muna
Сообщение: CLUSTER, VACUUM, and TABLESPACEs (oh my)
От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: CLUSTER, VACUUM, and TABLESPACEs (oh my)