Re: Contributing test cases to improve coverage

От J F
Тема Re: Contributing test cases to improve coverage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I am quite confused about what is the point of this.  You have not
> found any actual bug, nor have you demonstrated that this test case
> could discover a likely future bug that wouldn't be detected another
> way.  Moreover, it seems like the process would lead to some very
> large number of equally marginal test cases.  We aren't likely to
> accept such a patch, because we are concerned about keeping down the
> runtime of the test suite.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

The point of this project is to improve the coverage of PostgreSQL’s preexisting test suite. Writing a test suite to achieve close to 100% coverage is challenging, but I have proposed a workflow to automate this process.

I assert that no test case in the regression test suite currently covers the comparator in the expression rte->rtekind == RTE_SUBQUERY. I propose adding a new test case that addresses exactly this. In the future, if someone accidentally modifies the operator to become >=, it will trigger incorrect behavior when certain queries are executed. This test case will catch that issue.

I get that the test cases in /regress are likely reserved for actual bugs found and are designed to run quickly. Would it be a good idea to have a separate, more rigorous test suite that runs longer but provides better code coverage?

Regards,
Jon

От: Noah Misch
Сообщение: Re: race condition in pg_class
От: Michail Nikolaev
Сообщение: Re: race condition in pg_class