Re: Additional Notes

От Daniel Rinehart
Тема Re: Additional Notes
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Our callout use of NOTIFY within a TRIGGER may be tangential to the root cause. What we wanted to call out is that neither the NOTIFY page or the https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/explicit-locking.html page mention that NOTIFY uses an AccessExclusiveLock.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 1:05 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Wed, 2023-11-15 at 17:38 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-notify.html
>
> It would be good to add to the notes section that use of NOTIFY especially
> within a TRIGGER requires an AccessExclusiveLock which may cause performance
> issues. Old thread for reference:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3598.1363354686%40sss.pgh.pa.us

I don't see what this has to do with triggers.  Even deferred triggers run
*before* this notify lock is taken.

The only possibility I see for such a lock to be held for a long time is if
COMMIT spends a long time waiting for a reply from a synchronous standby
server.  Is that your problem?

I don't think that would require special documentation, because if your
synchronous standby does not respond in time, you normally have worse
problems than NOTIFY performance.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe