Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От pabloa98
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
Список pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:

And I think that "care about gaps -> sequence doesn't work" is a
knee-jerk reaction. It's similar to "can't parse HTML with regexps".
True in the general case, and therefore people tend to blurt it out
every time the topic comes up. But not necessarily true in specific
cases. As I wrote above, there is no perfect solution - so you have to
think about the actual requirements and the consequences of various
solutions - and maybe using a sequence is the best (or least bad)
solution.

OK. In that case, I will proceed with the millions of sequences. We will see.

Anyway, It will be awesome if we have a sequence data type in a future version of postgresql. They will solve a lot of problems similar to this one.

Pablo

От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
От: Jeremy Smith
Сообщение: Re: Explain says 8 workers planned, only 1 executed