Re: Improve the granularity of PQsocketPoll's timeout parameter?

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: Improve the granularity of PQsocketPoll's timeout parameter?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Em qua., 12 de jun. de 2024 às 16:45, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
I wrote:
> v3 attached uses pg_usec_time_t, and fixes one brown-paper-bag
> bug the cfbot noticed in v2.

Oh, I just remembered that there's a different bit of
pqConnectDBComplete that we could simplify now:

        if (timeout > 0)
        {
            /*
             * Rounding could cause connection to fail unexpectedly quickly;
             * to prevent possibly waiting hardly-at-all, insist on at least
             * two seconds.
             */
            if (timeout < 2)
                timeout = 2;
        }
        else                    /* negative means 0 */
            timeout = 0;

With this infrastructure, there's no longer any need to discriminate
against timeout == 1 second, so we might as well reduce this to

        if (timeout < 0)
            timeout = 0;

as it's done elsewhere.
I'm unsure if the documentation matches the code?
"
connect_timeout #

Maximum time to wait while connecting, in seconds (write as a decimal integer, e.g., 10). Zero, negative, or not specified means wait indefinitely. The minimum allowed timeout is 2 seconds, therefore a value of 1 is interpreted as 2. This timeout applies separately to each host name or IP address. For example, if you specify two hosts and connect_timeout is 5, each host will time out if no connection is made within 5 seconds, so the total time spent waiting for a connection might be up to 10 seconds.

"
The comments says that timeout = 0, means *Timeout is immediate (no blocking)*

Does the word "indefinitely" mean infinite?
If yes, connect_timeout = -1, mean infinite?

best regards,
Ranier Vilela