Re: Direct SSL connection and ALPN loose ends

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: Direct SSL connection and ALPN loose ends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Em seg., 29 de abr. de 2024 às 15:36, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> escreveu:
On 29/04/2024 21:06, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Em seg., 29 de abr. de 2024 às 14:56, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnaka@iki.fi <mailto:hlinnaka@iki.fi>> escreveu:
>
>     On 29/04/2024 20:10, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > With TLS 1.3 and others there is possibly a security flaw using
>     ALPN [1].
>      >
>      > It seems to me that the ALPN protocol can be bypassed if the
>     client does
>      > not correctly inform the ClientHello header.
>      >
>      > So, the suggestion is to check the ClientHello header in the
>     server and
>      > terminate the TLS handshake early.
>
>     Sounds to me like it's working as designed. ALPN in general is
>     optional;
>     if the client doesn't request it, then you proceed without it. We do
>     require ALPN for direct SSL connections though. We can, because direct
>     SSL connections is a new feature in Postgres. But we cannot require it
>     for the connections negotiated with SSLRequest, or we break
>     compatibility with old clients that don't use ALPN.
>
> Ok.
> But what if I have a server configured for TLS 1.3 and that requires
> ALPN to allow access?
> What about a client configured without ALPN requiring connection?

Sorry, I don't understand the questions. What about them?
Sorry, I'll try to be clearer.
The way it is designed, can we impose TLS 1.3 and ALPN to allow access to a public server?

And if on the other side we have a client, configured without ALPN,
when requesting access, the server will refuse?

best regards,
Ranier Vilela

От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache
От: Jacob Champion
Сообщение: Re: Direct SSL connection with ALPN and HBA rules