Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Em seg., 5 de jun. de 2023 às 13:42, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> escreveu:
On Mon, Jun  5, 2023 at 01:26:00PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> On 05/06/2023 11:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> > For the record, I think this will be a disaster. There is far too much
> > code that will get broken, largely silently, and much of it is not
> > under our control.
>
> I fully agreed with Tom.
>
> First, it is not clear what are the benefits of architecture change?
>
> Performance?
>
> Development becomes much more complicated and error-prone.

I agree the costs of going threaded have been reduced with compiler and
library improvements, but I don't know if they are reduced enough for
the change to be a net benefit, except on Windows where the process
creation overhead is high.
Yeah, but process creation, even on windows, is a tiny part of response time.
SGDB has one connection per user, so one process or thread.

Unlike a webserver like Nginx, with hundreds of thousands connections.
For the record, Nginx is multithread and uses -Werror for default. (Make all warnings into errors)

regards,
Ranier Vilela

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Docs: Encourage strong server verification with SCRAM
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded