Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Re: speed up a logical replica setup  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Re: speed up a logical replica setup  (vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 9:34 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:
>

> > It is still a WIP but I would like to share it and get some feedback.
> >

> I have started reviewing the patch. I have just read through all the
> code. It's well documented and clear. Next I will review the design in
> detail.

Here are some comments about functionality and design.

+ <step>
+ <para>
+ <application>pg_subscriber</application> creates one replication slot for
+ each specified database on the source server. The replication slot name
+ contains a <literal>pg_subscriber</literal> prefix. These replication
+ slots will be used by the subscriptions in a future step. Another
+ replication slot is used to get a consistent start location. This
+ consistent LSN will be used as a stopping point in the <xref
+ linkend="guc-recovery-target-lsn"/> parameter and by the
+ subscriptions as a replication starting point. It guarantees that no
+ transaction will be lost.
+ </para>
+ </step>

CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT would wait for any incomplete transaction to
complete. So it may not be possible to have an incomplete transaction
on standby when it comes out of recovery. Am I correct? Can we please
have a testcase where we test this scenario? What about a prepared
transactions?

+
+ <step>
+ <para>
+ <application>pg_subscriber</application> writes recovery parameters into
+ the target data directory and start the target server. It specifies a LSN
+ (consistent LSN that was obtained in the previous step) of write-ahead
+ log location up to which recovery will proceed. It also specifies
+ <literal>promote</literal> as the action that the server should take once
+ the recovery target is reached. This step finishes once the server ends
+ standby mode and is accepting read-write operations.
+ </para>
+ </step>

At this stage the standby would have various replication objects like
publications, subscriptions, origins inherited from the upstream
server and possibly very much active. With failover slots, it might
inherit replication slots. Is it intended that the new subscriber also
acts as publisher for source's subscribers OR that the new subscriber
should subscribe to the upstreams of the source? Some use cases like
logical standby might require that but a multi-master multi-node setup
may not. The behaviour should be user configurable.

There may be other objects in this category which need special consideration on
the subscriber. I haven't fully thought through the list of such objects.

+ uses the replication slot that was created in a previous step. The
+ subscription is created but it is not enabled yet. The reason is the
+ replication progress must be set to the consistent LSN but replication
+ origin name contains the subscription oid in its name. Hence, the

Not able to understand the sentence "The reason is ... in its name".
Why is subscription OID in origin name matters?

+ <para>
+ <application>pg_subscriber</application> stops the target server to change
+ its system identifier.
+ </para>

I expected the subscriber to be started after this step.

Why do we need pg_resetwal?

+ appendPQExpBuffer(str, "CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT \"%s\"", slot_name);
+ appendPQExpBufferStr(str, " LOGICAL \"pgoutput\" NOEXPORT_SNAPSHOT");

Hardcoding output plugin name would limit this utility only to
built-in plugin. Any reason for that limitation?

In its current form the utility creates a logical subscriber which
subscribes to all the tables (and sequences when we have sequence
replication). But it will be useful even in case of selective
replication from a very large database. In such a case the new
subscriber will need to a. remove the unwanted objects b. subscriber
will need to subscribe to publications publishing the "interesting"
objects. We don't need to support this case, but the current
functionality (including the interface) and design shouldn't limit us
from doing so. Have you thought about this case?

I noticed some differences between this and a similar utility
https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pglogical/blob/REL2_x_STABLE/pglogical_create_subscriber.c.
I will be reviewing these differences next to see if we are missing
anything here.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

От: Xing Guo
Сообщение: Re: Don't pass NULL pointer to strcmp().
От: "Euler Taveira"
Сообщение: Re: speed up a logical replica setup