Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

От Geoff Winkless
Тема Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 22 January 2016 at 10:47, FarjadFarid(ChkNet)
<farjad.farid@checknetworks.com> wrote:
> A number of contributors have asked why we should have Coc.

I'm not sure that that's true. Several have said that they don't
believe that we should, but that's not the same thing. Everyone is
entitled to their opinion. I don't think we should have one. I'm aware
of the reasons why other people think we should, I don't need
educating, I just believe that its overall impact will be negative or
(at best) neutral.

> Whilst we have been lucky so far. Unfortunately people behave differently when writing emails. This is because over
50%of our interactions are through body language and we don't see each other face to face. We don't really know each
other'sbackground, experience and capacities.

So what you're saying is, email is a bad thing because we can't use
our normal prejudices in advance?

> Freedom is not about saying anything we like anyway we like. For all our freedom is automatically limited by other
people'sfreedom. That's life whatever species we care to look at.

I haven't seen anyone making the argument that they should be allowed
to say whatever they want with no regard for others.

> Simply look at the abuse some people are getting on Twitter/facebook. Even on this thread someone ,I have no doubt
unintentionallyand only because of current climate, automatically used religious connotations in replying to me. Even
thoughI am not a Muslim, I am a Baha'i.

They did? Apologies if I missed it but the only reference I can find
is that Jim said that he is religious about postgres, which has
nothing at all to do with your (or indeed his) religion. Indeed the
only person who seems to be bringing up religion (rather repeatedly)
is yourself.

> As postgresql grows even more which I sincerely hope it does. We need direction so we can keep the best of traditions
for
> whoever may come on board but at the same time have the flexibility to change with time.

You've given no clear evidence as to a) whether that's true or b) how
a CoC will actually help to achieve that.

I believe that it's right and proper that the direction of Postgres is
defined by the people who spend their time writing it. If,  in ten
years' time, some different people come along with a different vision
and set of traditions, then that's up to them, surely?

Geoff