Re: Catalog bloat (again)

От Ivan Voras
Тема Re: Catalog bloat (again)
Дата
Re: Catalog bloat (again)  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Catalog bloat (again)  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On 28 January 2016 at 00:13, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 23:54:37 +0100
Ivan Voras <ivoras@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, question #1: WTF? How could this happen, on a regularly vacuumed
> system? Shouldn't the space be reused, at least after a VACUUM? The issue
> here is not the absolute existence of the bloat space, it's that it's
> constantly growing for *system* tables.

With a lot of activity, once a day probably isn't regular enough.

I sort of see what you are saying. I'm curious, though, what goes wrong with the following list of expectations:
  1. Day-to-day load is approximately the same
  2. So, at the end of the first day there will be some amount of bloat
  3. Vacuum will mark that space re-usable
  4. Within the next day, this space will actually be re-used
  5. ... so the bloat won't grow.
Basically, I'm wondering why is it growing after vacuums, not why it exists in the first place?

От: Berend Tober
Сообщение: Re: A motion
От: Don Parris
Сообщение: Re: Multi-Table Insert/Update Strategy - Use Functions/Procedures?