Re: [NOVICE] Make INFO messages consistent in various index *validate() functions

От neha khatri
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Make INFO messages consistent in various index *validate() functions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Does the community believe that the existing INFO message, as shown below, is clear enough for the users.

      "btree operator family "bpchar_ops" contains function bpcharcmp(character,character) with wrong signature for support number 1"

When I got that message I had to search in the Postgres Documents, to understand what is support number and what is support procedure. How the two are connected.... It takes some time to understand the co-relation.

Are the terms "support number" and "support procedure" being used interchangeably? Please clarify.

Regards,
Neha

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:24 PM, neha khatri <nehakhatri5@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

While experimenting with operator class support functions I saw following INFO message generated by nbtvalidate():

btree operator family "bpchar_ops" contains function bpcharcmp(character,character) with wrong signature for support number 1
The 'support number 1' above looks somewhat raw. Some of the other INFO messages in other index validate function(ginvalidate, gistvalidate) use the term "support procedure" or "support function".

gin operator class \"%s\" is missing support function %d
This message seems to use friendlier term. In fact the number is actually for a Support Procedure.

Probably the first message above, when restructured as shown below, might be more friendlier:

btree operator family "bpchar_ops" contains function bpcharcmp(character,character) as support procedure 1, with wrong signature
Would it be worth an effort to make these messages consistent and more user friendly.

Regards,
Neha

От: neha khatri
Сообщение: [NOVICE] Make INFO messages consistent in various index *validate() functions
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [NOVICE] Make INFO messages consistent in various index *validate() functions