Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?

От Stefan Keller
Тема Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Bruce

2013/11/20 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:00:05PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How can Postgres be used and configured as an In-Memory Database?
> >
> > Does anybody know of thoughts or presentations about this "NoSQL feature" -
> > beyond e.g. "Perspectives on NoSQL" from Gavin Roy at PGCon 2010)?
> >
> > Given, say 128 GB memory or more, and (read-mostly) data that fit's into
> > this, what are the hints to optimize Postgres (postgresql.conf etc.)?
> In this case as you are trading system safety (system will not be
> crash-safe) for performance... The following parameters would be
> suited:
> - Improve performance by reducing the amount of data flushed:
> fsync = off
> synchronous_commit=off
> - Reduce the size of WALs:
> full_page_writes = off
> - Disable the background writer:
> bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 0
> Regards,

FYI, the Postgres manual covers non-durability settings:

        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/non-durability.html

Thanks for the hint. On 17. November 2013 22:26 I referred to the same document page.
Aside config params it is suggested to use memory-backed file system (i.e. RAM disk).
But what I am interested in, is how Postgres can be functionally enhanced given the dataset fits into (some big) memory!
Being aware and assured that the dataset is in-memory, does'nt this lead to significant speed up, like Stonebraker, Ora and SAP affirm?

-S.

От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
От: gajendra s v
Сообщение: How to change content of xml datatype