Re: psql tests hangs

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: psql tests hangs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

pá 12. 5. 2023 v 10:31 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:

pá 12. 5. 2023 v 9:46 odesílatel Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> napsal:
On 2023-May-12, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> It hangs in perl

I wonder if "hanging" actually means that it interpreted the sleep time
as a very large integer, so it's just sleeping for a long time.

There is some interaction with pspg in stream mode

The probable scenario

It is starting pspg due to my setting PSQL_WATCH_PAGER. pspg is waiting on quit command, or on pipe ending. Quit command cannot to come because it is not on tty, so it is dead lock

I can write to safeguard the fast ending on pspg when it is in stream mode, and tty is not available.

And generally, the root perl should to reset PSQL_WATCH_PAGER env variable before executing psql. Probably it does with PSQL_PAGER, and maybe with PAGER.

with last change in pspg, this tests fails as "expected"

aster/src/bin/psql/../../../src/test/regress/pg_regress' /usr/bin/prove -I ../../../src/test/perl/ -I .  t/*.pl
# +++ tap check in src/bin/psql +++
t/001_basic.pl ........... 59/?
#   Failed test '\watch with 3 iterations: no stderr'
#   at t/001_basic.pl line 356.
#          got: 'stream mode can be used only in interactive mode (tty is not available)'
#     expected: ''

#   Failed test '\watch with 3 iterations: matches'
#   at t/001_basic.pl line 356.
#                   ''
#     doesn't match '(?^l:1\n1\n1)'
# Looks like you failed 2 tests of 80.
t/001_basic.pl ........... Dubious, test returned 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
Failed 2/80 subtests
t/010_tab_completion.pl .. ok
t/020_cancel.pl .......... ok

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/001_basic.pl         (Wstat: 512 (exited 2) Tests: 80 Failed: 2)
  Failed tests:  69-70
  Non-zero exit status: 2
Files=3, Tests=169,  7 wallclock secs ( 0.16 usr  0.03 sys +  3.31 cusr  1.31 csys =  4.81 CPU)
Result: FAIL
make: *** [Makefile:87: check] Chyba 1

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Pavel

About the server locale, note that the ->new() call explicitly requests
the C locale -- it's only psql that is using the Czech locale.
Supposedly, the Perl code should also be using the Czech locale, so the
sprintf('%g') should be consistent with what psql \watch expects.
However, you cannot ask the server to be consistent with that -- say, if
you hypothetically tried to use "to_char(9D99)" and \gset that to use as
\watch argument, it wouldn't work, because that'd use the server's C
locale, not Czech.  (I know because I tried.)

--
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Puedes vivir sólo una vez, pero si lo haces bien, una vez es suficiente"

От: Bharath Rupireddy
Сообщение: Re: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: psql tests hangs