Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

pá 22. 12. 2023 v 15:50 odesílatel Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> napsal:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 at 21:03, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> čt 21. 12. 2023 v 13:37 odesílatel Ishaan Adarsh <ishaanad9@gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
>> The recent documentation patches are part of my GSoC 2023 project
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2023#Postgres_extension_tutorial_.2F_quick_start>
>> to develop a comprehensive PostgreSQL extension development tutorial, it
>> assumes only a basic knowledge of Postgres and the target programming
>> language.
>>
>> The entire project is available on GitHub: Postgres-extension-tutorial
>> <https://github.com/IshaanAdarsh/Postgres-extension-tutorial/blob/main/SGML/intro_and_toc.md>.
>> It covers many topics, including prerequisites, writing extensions,
>> creating Makefiles, using procedural languages, incorporating external
>> languages, writing regression tests, and managing extension releases. *The patch submitted
>> for procedural languages, specifically PL/pgSQL and PL/Python, is part of
>> the procedural language section within the broader tutorial. *
>>
>> Based on the feedback I think there is a real need
>> <https://twitter.com/jer_s/status/1699071450915938609> for this as this
>> is a very important and growing part of the Postgres ecosystem. Currently,
>> all the extension material is scattered and very limited. There are
>> various third-party blog posts focusing on different areas, and sometimes
>> contradictory. The main motivation behind making this is to make the barrier
>> for entry less prohibitive for new contributors.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate your input on how to add it to the existing
>> documentation (this is where I have major doubts) and any suggestions on
>> how to proceed. If there are areas where the existing documentation is
>> already sufficient or if there are ways to improve the overall structure, I
>> am open to making adjustments.
>>

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-development-tips.html and
> new section - deployment or packaging to extensions
>
> I agree so https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-overview.html is
> under dimensioned, but packaging should not be there

It seems redundant if we add this for each PL, maybe a separate section to
describe how to package PL into extensions is better.

I have not a strong opinion about it. My personal experience is so 99% PL code is PLpgSQL, so it can be there, and other PL can be referenced there. I am not sure if there is some common part for all PL.

Regards

Pavel

--
Regrads,
Japin Li

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Avoid computing ORDER BY junk columns unnecessarily
От: Andrei Lepikhov
Сообщение: Re: Optimization outcome depends on the index order