Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

It is 100% true. But the users can do strange things. If we solve idle transactions and not idle session, then they are able to increase max_connections to thousands with happy smile in face.

I have not strong idea about how to solve it well - maybe introduce transaction_idle_timeout and session_idle_timeout?

What exactly do we want to define session_idle_timeout?  Some
possibilities:
a. Reset the session related variables like transaction, prepared
statements, etc. and retain it for connection pool kind of stuff
b. Exit from the session

b is safe state - and currently it is only one state, that we can forward to client side (with keep_alive packets) - so I prefer b

Regards

Pavel

If we want something on lines of option (a), then I think it is better
to have just a single time out (session_idle_timeout/idle_timeout)

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: COPY FREEZE and PD_ALL_VISIBLE