PostgreSQL perform poorly on VMware ESXi

От Lucas Mocellin
Тема PostgreSQL perform poorly on VMware ESXi
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL perform poorly on VMware ESXi  ("ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu>)
Re: PostgreSQL perform poorly on VMware ESXi  (Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi everybody,

I'm having some issues with PostgreSQL 9.03 running on FreeBSD 8.2 on top of VMware ESXi 4.1 U1.

The problem is query are taking too long, and some times one query "blocks" everybody else to use the DB as well.

I'm a network administrator, not a DBA, so many things here can be "newbie" for you guys, so please be patient. :)

Clonning this database to another machine not virtualized, any "crap" machine, it runs a way fastar, I've measured one specific "SELECT" and at the virtualized system (4GB RAM, 4 processors, SATA disk, virtualized), it took 15minutes!, in the crap machine (2GB RAM, 1 processor, SATA disk, NOT virtualized), it took only 2!!!

I always think the bottleneck is disk I/O as I can see from the vSphere performance view, but the virtual machine is using exclusively the SATA disk with no concurrency with other machines.

how do you guys deal with virtualization? any tips/recommendations? does that make sense the disk I/O? any other sugestion?

thanks in advance!

Lucas.

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow
От: "Tomas Vondra"
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL perform poorly on VMware ESXi