Re: Base Backups to a remote location

От Craig James
Тема Re: Base Backups to a remote location
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Boris Bukowski <bukowski@louis.info> wrote:
On 06.12.2013 12:49, Giuseppe Broccolo wrote:

Il 06/12/2013 11:05, Boris Bukowski ha scritto:
Hi,

i use the following script to backup servers every day to a remote
location.

---snip--- REMOTE=xyz123.louis.info DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`

ssh xyz123.louis.info "echo \"checkpoint; SELECT
pg_start_backup('${DATE}');\" |psql"

rsync -avxz  --numeric-ids
--exclude-from=/backup1/config/excludes.txt --delete-excluded
--inplace --delete root@${REMOTE}:/
/mnt/backup1/remote/xyz123/full

ssh xyz123.louis.info "echo \"SELECT pg_stop_backup();\" |psql"

---snip---

i have some questions about this: 1. will this always work?

In principle, this could be enough. ...
These are complete VM's with Webserver and Postgres. Once per day I take a complete snapshot of everything and feed it in our backup system.

Is this enough to get my Database always up again or do i miss something? Continuous Archiving is not my intention.

Why not try it?  Start Postgres running on your backup machine, and see if it works.  You should be able to scan through all of your tables with simple "select ..." statements and verify that they're all correct.  Then stop Postgres.

One of the nice things about rsync is that it will erase any changes you make to your backup. After you test your backup, it will no longer match your production version.  But the next time you run rsync, it will erase all of the changes to your backup and make it match the production version again.

Craig

best Regards
Boris Bukowski

От: Boris Bukowski
Сообщение: Re: Base Backups to a remote location
От: Scott Ribe
Сообщение: Re: Base Backups to a remote location