Re: [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits

От Andrew Atkinson
Тема Re: [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It would depend on how you pronounce SQL.
Got it, makes sense.

Makes sense. This "a vs. an" could be a nice thing to add to a "conventions" or "doc standards" if it's not there already. I checked https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/notation.html and https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page Is there a docs page that has that information? If there's an existing page where it could be added, I'd be happy to add it.

> That's a suspended hyphen and is common usage.
Sounds good, reset it back.

 > "Has been" means that something happened just now.
Sounds good, reset it back. "has been" is also used in the materialized term, "has been pre-computed".

> I think "option to" is not wrong
Ok, don't feel strongly. Reset it back.

> That's a suspended hyphen and is common usage.
Ok, reset it back.

Curious what people think about this. I thought the first phrase was possibly redundant.

-     On operating systems with a <literal>root</literal> user,

-     said user is not allowed to be the cluster owner.

+     The user <literal>root</literal> is not allowed to be the cluster owner.

I reviewed the definitions of assure vs. ensure, and I think ensure fits better, but I also noticed elsewhere the word “assurances” is used, as in an assurance about durability.

-     makes it visible to other transactions and assures its

+     makes it visible to other transactions and ensures its

Re: that/which, I put this into ChatGPT :) and apparently there is a “relative clause” vs. non-relative clause. My understanding was a non-relative clause would typically be inside commas, and could be removed without changing the meaning.

Since this section is talking about Bloat, and the space in data pages with non-current row versions is part of bloat, I don’t think it could be removed. So I think it’s a “relative clause” and “that” makes more sense.

This is another situation though where if there’s English majors or documentation experts, I’m happy to learn why I’m wrong. :)

-     Space in data pages which does not contain current row versions,

+     Space in data pages that does not contain current row versions,

Smaller patch attached!

Thanks.

On 2023-10-14 06:16 +0200, Andrew Atkinson write:
>    - When describing options for a command, changed to “option of” instead
>    of “option to”

I think "option to" is not wrong (maybe less common).  I've seen this
in other texts and took it as "the X option [that applies] to Y".

>    - “system- or user-supplied”, removed the dash after system. Or I’d
>    suggest system-supplied or user-supplied, to hyphenate both.

That's a suspended hyphen and is common usage.

>    - Changed “volume of records has been written” to “volume of records
>    were written”

"Has been" means that something happened just now.  This is perfectly
fine when talking about checkpoints IMO.

>    - Many examples of “an SQL”. I changed those to “a SQL...”. For example
>    I changed “An SQL command which” to “A SQL command that”. I'm not an
>    English major so maybe I'm missing something here.

Depends on how you pronounce SQL (ess-cue-el or sequel).  "An SQL"
is more common in the docs whereas "a SQL" is more common in code
comments.

--
Erik

От: Vik Fearing
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL domains and NOT NULL constraint
От: David Steele
Сообщение: Re: The danger of deleting backup_label