Re: WIP: CoC

От James Keener
Тема Re: WIP: CoC
Дата
Re: WIP: CoC  ("Regina Obe" <lr@pcorp.us>)
Список pgsql-general
(Sorry for the dup post. I felt having a clean thread without having to cross-reference was worth the minor faux pas.)

3. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free of comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or race.

why not

> 3. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free of ad hominem.

I don't see why we need to limit comments like in the original: that's not the point! The point is that people shouldn't be attacked!

Moreover,

2. The CoC is not about being offended. The act of being offended is purely a recipient response and usually the offended individual is more interested in being a victim than moving forward.

is very harsh.  It definitely needs to be rephrased or built on. What is the point of this, by the way? If we state that personal attacks are unbecoming of a member of this group, then does it matter if I'm offended when someone says we should have a table that lacks 1-M 1-F constraints for marriage? It's not an attack and trying to clarify the differences between being offended because of an attack on me or just in general might make things too awkward to write.

Jim

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 01/11/2016 02:22 PM, Brian Dunavant wrote:
3. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical
appearance, body size or race.

I think you meant "free OF comments".

I did.

However it still picks a few special classes of complaint, some of
which cause ambiguity such as 'gender'.  Does that mean I can't use
"he/she" pronouns?  It also implies that i'm allowed to criticize
people in other ways, say, their political affiliation or country.
Rather than list a bunch of "no no" perhaps something like:

"3)  A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is
free of negative personal criticism directed at a member of a
community, rather than at the technical merit of a topic."

First, I want to make sure we don't get too far into the weeds here.

I think your example is a good one but I do think we need examples so perhaps:

A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of non-technical or personal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or race.

???

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  503-667-4564

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? (WIP CoC)
От: Kevin Grittner
Сообщение: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?