Re: No prompt for setting up a master password

От richard coleman
Тема Re: No prompt for setting up a master password
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Stephanie,

That form has nothing to do with a master password.  It's the form used to save connection settings to a cluster.

Host name/address is the DNS name or IP address of the server hosting the cluster.
Port is the port that PostgreSQL instance is listening on, defaults to 5432.
Maintenance Database is just what it says, the maintenance database in that cluster, postgres is the default.
Username is the username of the role you want to use to connect to the cluster.
Password is the password for the role that you specified in username.
Save Password toggle is for if you want pgAdmin to remember the password for this connection.  It's only if you do that the matter of whether or not you are using a Master Password matters.
Role is if you want to connect as one role but work as an alternate one.

The rest don't usually apply to most people, but may be applicable in certain situations.

And that error is from the first tab, it's the name of the connection in pgAdmin and it can't be left blank.  I usually use the name of the server as a basis for that value.

I hope that that helps,
rik.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Stephanie Goulet <stephanie.a.goulet@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, Nikhil! That's probably it (I am using version 7.2), but I'm still a bit confused.

For example, when registering a server, what would I put in this password field (screenshot below) if I don't have a master password?

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 5.33.53 PM.png

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 12:48 AM Nikhil Mohite <nikhil.mohite@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Stephanie,

Can you please provide the pgAdmin 4 version details?

If you are using pgAdmin 4 version 7.2 onwards it uses the operating system's secret storage to store the passwords in desktop mode.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 11:06 PM Stephanie Goulet <stephanie.a.goulet@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Hope you're well. I'm a new user and was trying to set pgAdmin up for the first time. All of the instructions and tutorials and other resources I can find outline how there should be a prompt for setting up a master password when you first open. This did not appear for me. I tried deleting, redownloading, and opening again and it still doesn't appear. When opening the program after download, it also doesn't ask for a password (only when trying to connect to a server). If it's helpful to know, I'm using Mac OS.

Is there a way to set the master password without having the prompt appear? If yes, where/how? If not, what might you recommend for this situation?

Thank you in advance.

Stephanie

Regards,
Nikhil Mohite

От: Stephanie Goulet
Сообщение: Re: No prompt for setting up a master password
От: Gerd Wilmer
Сообщение: pgAdmin on Big sur