Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 at 10:58, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> This presupposes that there is consensus about how the future
> functionality should look like.  This topic has gone through half a
> dozen designs over a few months, and I think it would be premature to
> randomly freeze that discussion now and backport that design.

While there maybe isn't consensus on what a new design exactly looks
like, I do feel like there's consensus on this thread that the
backtrace_on_internal_error GUC is almost certainly not the design
that we want. I guess a more conservative approach to this problem
would be to revert the backtrace_on_internal_error commit and agree on
a better design for PG18. But I didn't think that would be necessary
if we could agree on the name for a more flexibly named GUC, which
seemed quite possible to me (after a little bit of bikeshedding).

> If a better, more comprehensive design arises for PG18, I think it would
> be pretty easy to either remove backtrace_on_internal_error or just
> internally remap it.

I think releasing a GUC (even if it's just meant for developers) in
PG17 and then deprecating it for a newer version in PG18 wouldn't be a
great look. And even if that's not a huge problem, it still seems
better not to have the problem at all. Renaming the GUC now seems to
have only upsides to me: worst case the new design turns out not to be
what we want either, and we have to deprecate the GUC. But in the best
case we don't need to deprecate anything.

От: Sriram RK
Сообщение: Re: AIX support
От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands