Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Jelte Fennema
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 04:57, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> I see an extra reason with not doing that: this increases the
> difficulty when it comes to send and maintain patches to the lists and
> newcomers would need to learn more tooling.  I don't think that we
> should make that more complicated for code-formatting reasons.

Honestly, I don't think it's a huge hurdle for newcomers. Most open
source projects have a CI job that runs automatic code formatting, so
it's a pretty common thing for contributors to deal with. And as long
as we keep it a separate CI job from the normal tests, committers can
even choose to commit the patch if the formatting job fails, after
running pgindent themselves.

And personally as a contributor it's a much nicer experience to see
quickly in CI that I messed up the code style, then to hear it a
week/month later in an email when someone took the time to review and
mentions the styling is way off all over the place.

От: Fabrice Chapuis
Сообщение: Re: wal recycling problem
От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: remaining sql/json patches