Re: Add RESPECT/IGNORE NULLS and FROM FIRST/LAST options

От Oliver Ford
Тема Re: Add RESPECT/IGNORE NULLS and FROM FIRST/LAST options
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 6 May 2023, 04:57 Tatsuo Ishii, <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
Attached is the patch to implement this (on top of your patch).

test=# SELECT row_number() RESPECT NULLS OVER () FROM (SELECT 1) AS s;
ERROR:  window function row_number cannot have RESPECT NULLS or IGNORE NULLS

The last time this was discussed (https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1037735.1610402426%40sss.pgh.pa.us) it was suggested to make the feature generalizable, beyond what the standard says it should be limited to.

With it generalizable, there would need to be extra checks for custom functions, such as if they allow multiple column arguments (which I'll add in v2 of the patch if the design's accepted).

So I think we need a consensus on whether to stick to limiting it to several specific functions, or making it generalized yet agreeing the rules to limit it (such as no agg functions, and no functions with multiple column arguments).

От: "Drouvot, Bertrand"
Сообщение: Re: Add two missing tests in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl
От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Questionable coding in nth_value