Re: index prefetching

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: index prefetching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wasn't quite sure how we could use
> index_compute_xid_horizon_for_tuples() for inspiration -- per Peter's
> suggestion. But, I'd like to understand.

The point I was trying to make with that example was: a highly generic
mechanism can sometimes work across disparate index AMs (that all at
least support plain index scans) when it just so happens that these
AMs don't actually differ in a way that could possibly matter to that
mechanism. While it's true that (say) nbtree and hash are very
different at a high level, it's nevertheless also true that the way
things work at the level of individual index pages is much more
similar than different.

With index deletion, we know that we're differences between each
supported index AM either don't matter at all (which is what obviates
the need for index_compute_xid_horizon_for_tuples() to be directly
aware of which index AM the page it is passed comes from), or matter
only in small, incidental ways (e.g., nbtree stores posting lists in
its tuples, despite using IndexTuple structs).

With prefetching, it seems reasonable to suppose that an index-AM
specific approach would end up needing very little truly custom code.
This is pretty strongly suggested by the fact that the rules around
buffer pins (as an interlock against concurrent TID recycling by
VACUUM) are standardized by the index AM API itself. Those rules might
be slightly more natural with nbtree, but that's kinda beside the
point. While the basic organizing principle for where each index tuple
goes can vary enormously, it doesn't necessarily matter at all -- in
the end, you're really just reading each index page (that has TIDs to
read) exactly once per scan, in some fixed order, with interlaced
inline heap accesses (that go fetch heap tuples for each individual
TID read from each index page).

In general I don't accept that we need to do things outside the index
AM, because software architecture encapsulation something something. I
suspect that we'll need to share some limited information across
different layers of abstraction, because that's just fundamentally
what's required by the constraints we're operating under. Can't really
prove it, though.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: postgres_fdw fails to see that array type belongs to extension