Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam()

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 6:10 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> And thinking about it, it'd be quite bad if the horizon worked that way. You can easily construct a workload where
everysingle xid would "skewer" some chain, never allowing the horizon to be raised.

Your whole scenario is one involving a insert of a tuple by XID 10,
which is then updated by XID 5 -- a lower XID. Obviously that's
possible, but it's relatively rare. I have to imagine that the vast
majority of updates affect tuples inserted by an XID before the XID of
the updater.

My use of the term "skewer" was limited to updates that look like
that. So I don't know what you mean about never allowing the horizon
to be raised.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: Refactor to introduce pg_strcoll().
От: "Regina Obe"
Сообщение: Ability to reference other extensions by schema in extension scripts