Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 10:00 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Now we treat the scanning and freezing strategies as two independent
> choices. Of course they're not independent in any practical sense, but
> I think it's slightly simpler and more elegant that way -- it makes
> the GUC vacuum_freeze_strategy_threshold strictly about freezing
> strategy, while still leading to VACUUM advancing relfrozenxid in a
> way that makes sense. It just happens as a second order effect. Why
> add a special case?

This might be a better way to explain it:

The main page-level freezing commit (commit 1de58df4) already added an
optimization that triggers page-level freezing "early" (early relative
to vacuum_freeze_min_age). This happens whenever a page already needs
to have an FPI logged inside lazy_scan_prune -- even when we're using
the lazy freezing strategy. The optimization isn't configurable, and
gets applied regardless of freezing strategy (technically there is no
such thing as freezing strategies on HEAD just yet, though HEAD still
has this optimization).

There will be workloads where the FPI optimization will result in
freezing many more pages -- especially when data checksums are in use
(since then we could easily need to log an FPI just so pruning can set
a hint bit). As a result, certain VACUUMs that use the lazy freezing
strategy will freeze in almost the same way as an equivalent VACUUM
using the eager freezing strategy. Such a "nominally lazy but actually
quite eager" VACUUM operation should get the same benefit in terms of
relfrozenxid advancement as it would if it really had used the eager
freezing strategy instead. It's fairly obvious that we'll get the same
benefit in relfrozenxid advancement (comparable relfrozenxid results
for comparable freezing work), since the way that VACUUM decides on
its scanning strategy is not conditioned on freezing strategy (whether
by the ongoing VACUUM or any other VACUUM against the same table).

All that matters is the conditions in the table (in particular the
added cost of opting for eager scanning over lazy scanning) as
indicated by the visibility map at the start of each VACUUM -- how
those conditions came about really isn't interesting at that point.
And so lazy_scan_strategy doesn't care about them when it chooses
VACUUM's scanning strategy.

There are even tables/workloads where relfrozenxid will be able to
jump forward by a huge amount whenever VACUUM choosing the eager
scanning strategy, despite the fact that VACUUM generally does little
or no freezing to make that possible:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Freezing/skipping_strategies_patch:_motivating_examples#Patch_3

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: "houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com"
Сообщение: RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client