Re: Fixing a couple of buglets in how VACUUM sets visibility map bits

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Fixing a couple of buglets in how VACUUM sets visibility map bits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 4:39 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> * Run VACUUM FREEZE. We need FREEZE in order to be able to hit the
> relevant visibilitymap_set() call site (the one that passes
> VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_FROZEN as its flags, without also passing
> VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_VISIBLE).
>
> Now all_visible_according_to_vm is set to true, but we don't have a
> lock/pin on the same heap page just yet.
>
> * Acquire several non-conflicting row locks on a row on the block in
> question, so that a new multi is allocated.

Forgot to mention that there needs to be a HOT update mixed in with
these SELECT ... FOR SHARE row lockers, too, which must abort once its
XID has been added to a multi. Obviously heap_lock_tuple() won't ever
unset VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_VISIBLE or PD_ALL_VISIBLE (it only ever clears
VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_FROZEN) -- so we need a heap_update() to clear all
of these status bits.

This enables the assertion to fail because:

* Pruning can get rid of the aborted successor heap-only tuple right
away, so it is not going to block us from setting the page all_visible
(that just leaves the original tuple to consider).

* The original tuple's xmax is a Multi, so it won't automatically be
ineligible for freezing because it's > OldestXmin in this scenario.

* FreezeMultiXactId() processing will completely remove xmax, without
caring too much about cutoffs like OldestXmin -- it only cares about
whether each individual XID needs to be kept or not.

(Granted, FreezeMultiXactId() will only remove xmax like this because
I deliberately removed its FRM_NOOP handling, but that is a very
delicate thing to rely on, especially from such a great distance. I
can't imagine that it doesn't fail on HEAD for any reason beyond sheer
luck.)

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Joseph Koshakow
Сообщение: Re: Infinite Interval
От: Masahiko Sawada
Сообщение: Spinlock is missing when updating two_phase of ReplicationSlot