Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?  ("Graeme B. Bell" <graeme.bell@nibio.no>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Graeme B. Bell <graeme.bell@nibio.no> wrote:

> Hi Merlin,
>
> Long story short - thanks for the reply, but you're not measuring anything about the parallelism of code running in a
pl/pgsqlenvironment here. You're just measuring whether postgres can parallelise entering that environment and get back
out.Don't get me wrong - it's great that this scales well because it affects situations where you have lots of calls to
trivialfunctions.
> However it's not the problem I'm talking about. I mean 'real' pl'pgsql functions. e.g. things that you might find in
postgisor similar.

Maybe so.  But it will be a lot easier for me (and others on this)
list if you submit a self contained test case that runs via pgbench.
From there it's a simple matter of a perf top and other standard
locking diagnostic tests and also rules out any suspicion of 3rd party
issues.  This will also get better feedback on -bugs.

merlin

От: "Graeme B. Bell"
Сообщение: Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?
От: "Graeme B. Bell"
Сообщение: Hmmm... why does CPU-intensive pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?