Re: [DOC] Add detail regarding resource consumption wrt max_connections

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: [DOC] Add detail regarding resource consumption wrt max_connections
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 4:05 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 4:00 PM Robert Treat <rob@xzilla.net> wrote:
> > I think the only unresolved question in my mind was if we should add a
> > similar note to the original patch to max_prepared_xacts as well; do
> > you intend to do that?
>
> I didn't intend to do that. I don't think it would be incorrect to do
> so, but then we're kind of getting into a slippery slope of trying to
> label every parameter that has increases shared memory usage or any
> other kind of research consumption, and there are probably (pulls
> number out of the air) twenty of those. It seems more worthwhile to
> mention it for max_connections than the other (deducts one from
> previous random guess) nineteen because it affects a whole lot more
> things, like the size of the fsync queue and the size of the lock
> table, and also because it tends to get set to relatively large
> values, unlike, for example, autovacuum_max_workers. If you think we
> should go further than just doing max_connections, then I think we
> either need to (a) add a note to every single bloody parameter that
> affects the size of shared memory or (b) prove that the subset where
> we add such a note have a significantly larger impact than the others
> where we don't. Do you think we should get into all that?

Nope. Let's do the best bang for the buck improvement and we can see
if we get any feedback that indicates more needs to be done.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: More performance improvements for pg_dump in binary upgrade mode
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?