Re: Log file retention

От Rajesh Kumar
Тема Re: Log file retention
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks...I got the same info from postgrespro after searching this for long time..

Can we also set for one month the same way?

Thanks.

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024, 13:50 Gabriel Guillem Barceló Soteras, <gbarcelo@parlamentib.es> wrote:

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:16
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Log file retention

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 4:04AM Rajesh Kumar <rajeshkumar.dba09@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

How to keep log files only for 7 days

logrotate?  A bash script in a cron job?

I think it is the default behaviour on default install:

  1. Edit the postgresql.conf File:
  2. Locate the postgresql.conf file for your PostgreSQL installation.
  3. Configure the Following Parameters:
    1. Set log_filename to server_log.%a. This will create one log file per day named server_log.Mon, server_log.Tue, etc.
    2. Enable log_truncate_on_rotation to automatically overwrite last week’s log with this week’s log.
    3. Set log_rotation_age to 1440 (minutes), which corresponds to 24 hours. This ensures that logs are rotated daily.
  4. Example Configuration:

log_filename = 'server_log.%a'

log_truncate_on_rotation = on

log_rotation_age = 1440

Still keep an eye on log_rotation_size

After making these changes, restart your PostgreSQL server for the new settings to take effect.