От shveta malik
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 7:56 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/3/23 12:54 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 11:39 AM Drouvot, Bertrand
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Exactly, that's why I was thinking keeping standby_slot_names to address
> >> this scenario. In such a case one could simply decide to keep or remove
> >> the associated physical replication slot from standby_slot_names. Keep would
> >> mean "wait" and removing would mean allow to decode on the primary.

> >> Yeah, I think that's a good use case for standby_slot_names, what do you think?
> >>

> > But, even if we keep 'standby_slot_names' for this purpose, the
> > primary doesn't know the value of 'synchronize_slot_names' once the
> > standby is down and or the primary is restarted. So, how will we know
> > which logical WAL senders needs to wait for 'standby_slot_names'?
> >

> Yeah right, I also think we'd need:
>
> - synchronize_slot_names on both primary and standby
>
> But now we would need to take care of different standby having different values (
> as you said up-thread)....
>
> Thinking out loud: What about a single GUC on the primary (not standby_slot_names nor
> synchronize_slot_names) but say logical_slots_wait_for_standby that could be a list of say
> "logical_slot_name:physical_slot".
>
> I think this GUC would help us define each walsender behavior (should the standby(s)
> be up or down):

It may help in defining the walsender's behaviour better for sure. But
the problem I see once we start defining sync-slot-names on primary
(in any form whether as independent GUC or as above mapping GUC) is
that it needs to be then in sync with standbys, as each standby for
sure needs to maintain its own sync-slot-names GUC to make it aware of
what all it needs to sync. This brings us to the original question of
how do we actually keep these configurations in sync between primary
and standby if we plan to maintain it on both?

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Remove IndexInfo.ii_OpclassOptions field
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: pgBufferUsage.blk_{read|write}_time are zero although there are pgBufferUsage.local_blks_{read|written}