Re: pg_isready --dbname option is broken. So it should not be in the manual

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: pg_isready --dbname option is broken. So it should not be in the manual
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On Thursday, October 26, 2023, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 26 Oct 2023, at 14:20, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org <mailto:noreply@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/app-pg-isready.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/app-pg-isready.html>
>
> the --dbname option in pg_isready seems not to work propperly. the tool
> returns 'ok' as long as the cluster itselft is running, no matter how wrong
> the bdname might be.
>
> as this seems to be a ~10 year old misbehaviour as per the below thread I
> think it should be removed from the manual.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/52840D38.9070604%40agliodbs.com <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/52840D38.9070604%40agliodbs.com>
>
> Read the notes section.

The notes section is pretty hidden though, I can sympathize with anyone missing
it and maybe making the info a bit more visible would be good?

Add a “see notes” link to those two parameters.

But we put lots of stuff like this into the notes everywhere; DBAs are expected to look for and read them on the man pages they consume.  This doesn’t seem to fit into the description nor warrants a callout.

David J.

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: pg_isready --dbname option is broken. So it should not be in the manual
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: 19.9. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL