Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 7:54 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

I find the specific change
proposal for ddl.sgml a bit weird, though, because this is a very
introductory section, and you are referring people to pg_class (what is
that?!?) for details.  If we want to put something there, it should
respect the order in which that chapter introduces concepts.

I started looking at this specific item and immediately got the idea to actually document in user-facing (i.e., not system catalogs) what these object categories are in which object types share the schema namespace.  The "Other Object Types" section already in the DDL chapter seems to provide a near-perfect place to put this (not sure I like the word "other" there being my only complaint).  The attached patch replaces Laurenz's v1, leaving the create_table changes as-is but presenting an alternative approach to introducing namespacing when we explain why schemas exist.

David J.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an
От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an